Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 908-8B Symbiotik Vs. Pascalite

  1. #1
    Inactive Member eeehaah's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, what can you tell me about the 908-8B I should know, it's the first compression driver for me other than I had 604E which has one through it forums

    I just won it on eBay. It has Symbiotik diaphram, is that good? I could put a Pascalite diaphram in there.

    What affect would putting a 16 ohm diaphram in it be?

    Thank you,

    eeehaah

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    The 908-8B is the same motor structure as the 902-8B and the 909-8A.

    The Symbiotik diaphragm was Altec's answer to the rock and roll idiots who kept destroying their ears with super high SPL's while driving their solid state amplifiers into MASSIVE clipping and destroying the standard diaphragms. It has a less than smooth upper end, but CAN handle a lot of power.

    The Pascalite diaphragms sound just a smidgen less as good as the aluminum ones (aka 902's), but handle the greater amounts of power that the Symbiotik's can.

    What you use depends on what you're doing with the driver - if you're into head-banging rock & roll, then use the Symbiotik: you won't miss what it can't reproduce because your ears are too far gone to know the difference. :-)

    If you are going to play your system REALLY LOUD, and have a tendency to overdrive your amps (especially if their solid state), then use the Pascalite.

    If you want the SMOOTHEST and BEST and HIGHEST frequency response, go with the aluminum (902 diaphragms).

    Todd W. White, Webmaster & Owner
    ALTEC LANSING'S (unofficial) HOMEPAGE

  3. #3
    Inactive Member eeehaah's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Todd, so if I buy an aluminum diaphram for a 902 from let's say Bill Hanushak (he rebuilt a 604E for me once, fantastic job) it will go right in the 908-8B? Well that's cool. Is there really anything lost being it has a Ferite magnet vs. Alnico?

    I really appreciate the knowledge of Altec arround here.

    eeehaah

    Amp Chip DIY Forum

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Without trying to launch another ferrite vs alnico shootout I am going to make a statement. NO! You will not be losing anything. In regards to the smaller format horn drivers I have 4 sets of Alnico 802's, 2 sets of alnico 806's, 2 sets of mudmagnet 902's and that is not counting what is on my 604's. I think the 902 is as good and probably better than the 802. I think the 902 sounds a little sweeter. Some say you cannot tell the difference. Same argument between the 902 aluminum and the 909 pascalite. Some say the 902 (including the esteemed Mr. White) is slightly better for hifi some say there is no detectable difference (including Jerry Hubbard, who designed the pasacalite) I won't venture an opinion until I really do a good taste test. Have fun!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.